North Shore Track Services is seeking an Operations Supervisor to join our team to assist in planning, scheduling, and directing activities of railroad maintenance and construction in the Twin Ports area. The position requires the oversight and effective use of labor, equipment and construction material while optimizing safety, production, and quality of final product and service. The position requires applying construction experience to analyze our production rates and equipment needs. The position will require effective communication skills, organizational skills, a base understanding of project plans and scopes, ability to manage employees, and effective customer relation skills.
- Communicate with the Foreman on our daily track job requirements.
- Provide knowledge and direction to the Foreman on how to oversee their daily crews.
- Make sure NST crews operate safely but stay productive.
- Oversee placement of key personnel in the correct positions based on skill and experience.
- Provide periodic site visits to make sure the job is going safely and correctly. If there is a safety violation or concern, communicate it and correct it on the spot.
- Make sure the project is completed on the proposed timeline and within budget. Discuss any difficulties with the project to the project manager to resolve any project constraints.
- Teach employees the safe and correct way to perform their daily tasks and encourage them to ask questions.
- Check and oversee employees to make sure they are happy, confident and feel secure in their work environment.
- Communicate with Operations Manager about crew size and all equipment and material needs.
- Provide feedback on employees that show skills that would nominate that individual for promotion.
- Project Scheduling:
- Oversee and execute the project priorities to maximize efficiency and productivity.
- Work with the Operations Manager to add new jobs to the project schedule and prioritize projects as they fit client and overall schedule.
- Make sure we are using the correct personnel, equipment, and material for each job.
- Oversee that all safety requirements are being practiced and followed.
- Work with employees to teach them the proper way to use equipment.
- Check all equipment to make sure it is in proper working condition and all safety equipment is provided and up to date.
- Communicate with the safety director to make sure all the necessary rules are being followed.
- Follow up on any safety audit items and oversee that they are being corrected.
- Communicate and document safety violations through the company disciplinary guidelines.
Client Relations –
- Communicate with clients, especially our regular client base on the track requirement needs.
- Regularly visit clients to make sure their needs and our crews are providing a great product/service.
- Show our clients the necessary track repairs required to keep rail infrastructure operating safely.
- When there is an emergency track repair required (i.e., derailment and track out of service) develop a plan to mobilize and restore the track as quickly and safely as possible. Communicate to the client the cost-benefit of needed repairs and improvements.
- Work with clients to schedule their track repair needs within their operating schedule.
- Communicate with client the need for changes in project scope and facilitate change orders with the Project Manager.
Track Inspections –
- Oversee the implementation and execution of our track inspections. Maintain the track inspection schedule and communicate schedule with client.
- Oversee that the written track inspection is precise and accurately explains track defect and NST’s concerns.
- Follow up with a contract proposal to allow the client time to decide how to proceed with the new scope.
- Make changes to operating schedule to allow work blocks.
Bidding Process –
- Perform pre-bid site visits to establish an overview of what needs to be completed and how the job should be performed safely, productively, efficiently and cost effectively.
- Work with project managers to provide the correct sequence and way to perform the job.
- Calculate production rates and equipment needs to develop project estimates.
- After receiving the project approval, follow-up with the ordering of materials, planning the work, and scheduling with client.
- Oversee that all our equipment is working properly.
- Make sure all safety devices are installed and working correctly.
- Communicate with the mechanics on the scheduling of needed equipment repair and equipment scheduling.
- Provide knowledge and experience about new equipment once put into service.
- Oversee that inventory is being accounted for accurately and that adequate quantities are in place.
- Make sure that inventory is being ordered in a timely manner and stored in the correct location.
- Develop and maintain inventory staging for each project, either on site or at project location.
- Perform follow-up audits on inventory.
- Correctly document material to projects.
Summary of responsibilities –
- Oversee and work on the schedule with the operations manager to maintain an accurate schedule for projects, crews, equipment, and materials.
- Oversee the performance of the crew to make sure they are safe, efficient, and productive.
- Work with project managers on the bidding process and setting up crews and equipment for our projects.
- Communicate with project manager on any operation issue that requires immediate action.
- Ensure the proper inventory of equipment and materials required for all track maintenance needs is available.
- Communicate with mechanics to make sure the necessary equipment gets maintained properly and in a timely manner.
- Follow-up on safety concerns to make sure they were documented and corrected.
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
Work Location: In person